ASHEVILLE, NC – Music lovers of all ages will enjoy free concerts at UNC Asheville’s 28th annual Concerts on the Quad summer music series. Concerts get under way at 7 p.m. each Monday evening June 14-July 21 on UNC Asheville’s Quad. The series will conclude with special, ticketed performances of the Folkmoot USA Festival on July 24-25.
Concerts on the Quad is fun for the entire family. The public is invited to bring picnics, blankets and lawn chairs. Sorry, no pets allowed. With nearly 2,000 attending each concert, lawn-chair seating will be separate from blanket seating to preserve sight lines; please look for signage when arriving on the Quad. Check the Cafe a la Quad tent for snacks and beverages.
In case of rain, the concerts will be held in Lipinsky Auditorium. A limited menu will be served on rainy evenings. Concert location decisions are made at 5 p.m. the day of the show. Patrons may call 828/232-5000 line 3 after 5 p.m. each Monday to hear a recorded announcement about the location of that evening’s performance.
Concerts in the 2010 season include:
– June 14: Cool John Ferguson – blues, gospel and funk
– June 21: ELM. Collective – world music, jazz and fusion
– June 28: Pan Jive – energetic, genre-defying steel drums
– July 5: April Verch – traditional roots, fiddle and step-dancing
– July 12: One Leg Up – Gypsy jazz
– July 24-25 — The 27th annual Folkmoot USA festival, the only ticketed event of the series, will feature folk dance and music from around the world. Folkmoot tickets range from $10-$25 and are available online or by phone at 877/FOLKUSA.
Concerts on the Quad is presented in part with generous support from Biltmore Farms Hotels, Greenlife Grocery, WNC Tents, Mast General Store, Musicians’ Workshop, Smoky Mountain Living, Clothes Encounters, Ray and Allen Funeral Service, and Town and Mountain Realty.
For more information about Concerts on the Quad, call UNC Asheville’s Cultural Events & Special Academic Programs Office at 828/251-6991 or visit www.unca.edu/summerquad.