ASHEVILLE NC – You’ve picked the perfect tree – now how do you keep it looking beautiful all through the Christmas season?
- Purchase a fresh tree with needles that do not fall off when shaken.
- Recut the base of the stem and stand it in water as soon as you get it home.
- Store the tree outdoors, standing in a bucket of water, until it is brought inside.
- Avoid exposing the tree to heat sources and warm drafts. Use an antitranspirant spray to help slow the drying out of needles.
- Be sure your tree stand is large enough to hold adequate water. Check the water level daily and keep the cut surface covered with water at all times. A cut Christmas tree will absorb between 2 pints and one gallon of water per day. Use plain water, no additives.
For more information, call Buncombe County Cooperative Extension at 255-5522.